Director, Investments Team
This position is based in Vail or Boulder/Denver metro areas, with other work locations considered for the right candidate. Regular travel is expected. Total cash compensation is $350K – $450K commensurate on experience.
Who We Are:
Manna Tree is a Vail, CO-based private equity firm dedicated to improving human health. As a sector-focused, growth equity investment firm with approximately $600M in AUM and a global investor base, we invest in companies that drive the future of nutrition through innovation in food production and processing, logistics and distribution, consumer products and personal nutrition. We are a versatile group of passionate, humble individuals who enjoy serving our portfolio companies in a dynamic and nimble environment.
We have invested in healthy category leaders, including Vital Farms, MycoTechnology, Verde Farms, Nutriati, Gotham Greens, Infinant Health, Urban Remedy, The New Primal, Health-Ade, Cheetah Technologies, Good Culture, and True Food Kitchen.
What You Will Do:
Working closely with other members of our small Investments team, you will primarily focus on leading the transaction process, including investment evaluation, due diligence, structuring, legal negotiation, and closing. Post-close, you will work collaboratively with management teams at portfolio companies, board members, and other members of the Investments team to provide operational support and financial analysis to realize shared value and returns for both Manna Tree and the individual companies.
In addition, you will:
- Provide leadership and discipline to the overall investment process; ensure adherence to investment criteria and IRR objectives.
- Lead financial planning and analysis efforts across the portfolio; work across stakeholders to drive post-close value creation initiatives.
- Support annual and quarterly valuations.
- Lead cash planning and analysis for portfolio companies; collaborate with a consultative approach with our portfolio companies around key strategic initiatives and future financing.
- Review monthly and quarterly financial results and P&Ls on portfolio companies; provide required analysis and insight to both Board members and/or the companies themselves to ensure returns and strategic objectives are achieved (adjusting plans where necessary)
- Lead due diligence, structuring, negotiation, and close of new investment opportunities.
- Review and prepare investment theses and term sheets to guide investments (both initial and follow-on), leveraging appropriate structure to best match risk with expected return.
- Present specific investment opportunities to Manna Tree Investment Committee for review/approval; work with associates to prepare investment memos and quarterly summaries.
- Effectively communicate and quantify investment theses along with related risks and mitigating factors.
- Demonstrate strong investment judgment; balance risk with a desire to meet performance targets.
- Manage third-party diligence providers, including legal, accounting, and industry-specific consultants.
- Lead and/or participate in post-investment portfolio management, exit preparation, strategy board representation.
- Utilize robust network and proactively build new relationships across the investment community to source high-quality investment opportunities in parallel with the business development team.
- Foster a positive and collaborative work environment across the organization; serve as a team member and culture evangelist.
- Actively participate in the continued development and advancement of the company and our investments.
- Inspire, lead, and develop/mentor junior team members in a manner that aligns with company culture.
Who You Are:
As a key player on our Investments team, you have 15+ years of post-undergraduate experience, including significant time in private equity or investment banking. Ideally, you have significant experience in lower-middle market investment transactions, bringing extensive financial analysis, modeling, due diligence, and operating acumen.
- 15+ years of finance experience in an operating role, private equity, or investment banking; strong track record of realized results in consumer products or related sectors preferred. The ideal candidate has a mix of both operating and banking experience gained throughout her/his career.
- Sell-side experience, including underwriting, terms, exit modeling, structuring, and exit planning.
- Operating experience that may include corporate development, M&A, and financial planning and analysis.
- Full deal cycle experience, including investment strategy development, sourcing, due diligence, structuring, closing, portfolio management, and exits.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, or a related field. MBA or graduate degree in finance preferred.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills with strong investment acumen.
- Familiarity with investment analytic and tracking tools (e.g., Pitchbook)
- Strong written and verbal communications and presentation skills.
- Thoughtful, imaginative, and intellectually curious with strong critical thinking skills.
- A passion for nutrition, health, and wellness, with the mindset to serve our constituents.
- The highest standards for ethics, integrity, and professionalism.
- Outstanding relationship skills with the ability to influence senior-level leaders.
- Superior work ethic, self-driven with attention to detail and follow-through; a team player that isn’t above any task.
- Ability to juggle multiple workflows and responsibilities at once.
- Exceptional interpersonal/emotional intelligence; Proven ability to proactively manage processes and outside relationships.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary, performance-based bonus, and long-term incentives are included in the total compensation package.
- Competitive benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental and vision premiums for you and your family.
- Health & wellness benefits, including a wellness stipend, fitness memberships, and more.
- Flexible PTO, seven days paid sick leave, and over 10+ paid holidays annually
- Paid parental
Manna Tree is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.